6.04.2013

Protests

As I stepped out of my house last night it all started again. Streets articulated with the sharp sounds of kitchen pots and pans being beaten. Only a few at first, but as I walked up more and more people opened their windows to lean into the night and make their contribution. It spread. Eventually the drifting particles of sound gravitated towards each other and condensed into unity on the corner of our street. I watched flares being lit on the pavement. There was an infectious excitement among the crowds; inspired, empowered and caught up in the thrill of objection. There was a solitary policeman standing on the sidelines of the demonstration. I went over and talked to him. He told me that Erdoǧan is finished, and that the people wouldn’t stop until they got what they want. “And what do you want?”, I asked him, to which he responded with wild gesticulations towards the police badge embroidered into the cotton of his shirt, telling me he couldn’t say.  I later saw the same policeman in civilian clothes, smiling and waving at me from among the swathes of people marching through the streets crying out against the government.




1 comment:

  1. Request for registering eCurator

    Dear Emma,

    Hello, this is Tomo.
    I'm 1st year student in UCLA located at Los Angeles.

    We will start a web service, called "eCurator" from 3rd August.
    eCurator is a web-based platform that connects overseas travelers to local residents in the area they are traveling to help provide travel advice and recommendations.

    I moved to LA in last August to study at UCLA.
    Thanks to the advice from people who have lived in LA for a long time, my life in LA has become colorful.
    So, I came to think that if local people provide travelers with their experience, their travels become more fun and something unique.

    You put out the useful information about your living city on your blog.
    So, could you talk to taravelers and share them with your local experience?
    In return for your kindness, travelers will pay you $6 for 30 minites conversation as a gratitude through our website.
    Our concept is that local residents can earn some money which allows them to buy Starbucks Latte and Scone if they talked to prospect travelers.

    If you are interested in this service, please access the link below.
    It explains the detail of eCurator and contains contact info.

    http://ecurator.info/promo/lamb

    Hope you will share your special experience with travelers

    Best Regards,

    Tomo

    eCurator's URL (Under construction):
    https://ecurator.info/

    ReplyDelete